23 October 2018: Bermuda Hospitals Board (BHB) is celebrating Breast Cancer Awareness month this week with a walk-in mammography day this Thursday 25 October. If you are over the age of 40 and have not had your mammogram this year, come and celebrate with us. We are accepting new and returning patients.
Please note the following:
BHB’s Mammography Department follows the guidelines of the American College of Radiology (ACR). This includes the age at which persons should have mammograms and the frequency with which they should be conducted. The guidelines stipulate the following:
- Women aged 40 to 82 should get mammograms every year
- Screening should continue as long as a woman is in good health and is expected to live 10 more years or longer
- All women should be familiar with the known benefits, limitations and potential harms linked to breast cancer screening
- Women should know how their breasts normally look and feel, and report any changes to a healthcare provider right away
- Women with a family history, genetic tendency or certain other factors should, in addition to a mammogram, be screened with MRI. Very few women fall into this category.
- Talk with a healthcare provider about your risk for breast cancer and the best screening plan for you.
To learn about fun ways the BHB mammography team is marking Breast Cancer Awareness Month, follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BermudaHospitals/