Mental Health Services
But we can’t do it alone! Everyone needs to be involved to help people with mental health issues recover, whether you are a service user, related to someone with mental health issues, a partner organisation or a member of the Bermuda community. Your involvement, understanding and caring are vital if we are to truly help our friends, colleagues and neighbours recover from mental illness.
MWI is the sole psychiatric hospital in Bermuda. We provide hospital and community-based care in the following areas:
- Mental health/psychiatry
- Learning disability
- Substance abuse
- Child and adolescence
- ‘Graduate’ elderly
While MWI has made great progress in deinstitutionalising the population with mental illness in Bermuda, much work remains to be done. The effort to provide care to citizens with mental illness focuses too much of the resources toward institutionalisation and not on a community-based approach. The result has been a ‘revolving door’ of clients being institutionalised and returning to the community to find too little support, then reentering an institution.
MWI has devised an approach that focuses on patient-centred care in the community based on implementing recommendations provided by outside experts as well as following best practices and models of care from the US and UK respectively.
At the heart of our plan is the “recovery model”. This model ensures that the “I” in communIty has a voice in the mental health plan. This will be made possible through the implementation of three services:
- Expanded community-based care
- Service improvements
- Reformed forensic mental health services
Read more about our mental health plan:
Did you know?
- There is a 24-hour help line (236-3770) and a walk-in clinic at MWI for people who feel they need help from a mental health specialist.
- MWI provides community support to people who have experienced enduring mental illness as they are resettled into various community living settings.
If you need us, we’re here to help. Please do not hesitate to contact us.
A list of local and online support groups is available on the Bermuda Mental Health Foundation website.
Mental Health Programme
The Mid-Atlantic Wellness Institute’s Mental Health Programme is designed to provide comprehensive clinical treatment services to the people of Bermuda without regard to financial means, race, religion or sexual orientation. It also offers mental health education to the community at large through employers, schools and community organisations. City and Guilds Accreditation allows MWI to offer courses for nursing aides so they can obtain Certification of Competence to Care for our Learning Disability patients, without having to go to the United Kingdom for this certification.
The Royal College of Psychiatrists from the United Kingdom has accredited MWI as a teaching hospital, therefore junior doctors can use one year of employment at MWI rotating through the four specialties as credit toward their clinical placements to become psychiatrists.
MWI has received accreditation awards from the Accreditation Canada dating back to the 1970s. Regular surveys take place to determine whether our service delivery is at a level comparable in quality to that of a Canadian hospital of similar size and population.
Mental Health Links
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Mental Health Information for All (UK Royal College of Psychiatrists)
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
- PsychiatryOnline (American Psychiatric Association)
- Rethink UK
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- UK Sainsbury Centre for Mental Health – information on recovery
- University Of Michigan Depression Center – first US multidisciplinary centre dedicated to research, education, and treatment of depressive and bipolar illnesses
- Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP)