1 October 2018: Bermuda Hospitals Board (BHB) is celebrating Breast Cancer Awareness Month this October with events and awareness campaigns organised by the Mammography Department.
BHB is expecting a social media buzz on Snapchat today with the Mammography Department filter and the main entrance of the Acute Care Wing will be under a pink glow commencing tonight and running for the entire month.
“BHB started offering mammography services in 1992 and since then have never wavered in our commitment to provide mammograms for all who need it,” said BHB Senior Imaging Technologist Terricca Smith.
“The pink entrance lighting shows the public that we continue to be dedicated to providing breast cancer education and testing. Research shows that early detection of breast cancer greatly improves survival rates, so we are eager for women to have regular mammograms,” she said.
BHB’s Mammography Department follows the guidelines of the American College of Radiology (ACR) which includes the age at which persons should have mammograms and the frequency with which they should be conducted. The guidelines stipulate the following:
- Women aged 40 to 82 should get mammograms every year;
- Screening should continue as long as a woman is in good health and is expected to live 10 more years or longer;
- All women should be familiar with the known benefits, limitations and potential harms linked to breast cancer screening;
- Women should know how their breasts normally look and feel and report any changes to a healthcare provider right away;
- Women with a family history, genetic tendency or certain other factors, should in addition to a mammogram, be screened with MRI. (Very few women fall into this category);
- Talk with a healthcare provider about your risk for breast cancer and the best screening plan for you.
The Mammography Department has allotted Thursday 25 October from 9am to 12pm as walk-in Mammogram Day. Individuals who meet the requirements above, set out by the ACR, can attend the department for a screening without an appointment.
To learn about other interesting things going on and opportunities to win prizes from the BHB mammography team during the month, follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/BermudaHospitals/