CHILD AND ADOLESCENT DEPRESSION
What is Sadness versus Depression?
It’s not unusual for young people to experience “the blues” occasionally. Adolescence is always an unsettling time, with the many physical, emotional, psychological and social changes that accompany this stage of life. When a young person feels that he or she cannot meet the academic, social, or family expectations of others, they may feel rejected and disappointed. Many young people feel that life is not fair or that things “never go their way.” They feel “stressed out” and confused.
Depression is more than just “feeling blue.” Depression is also different from feelings of grief. It does not mean that one is weak. Children and teens with clinical depression cannot simply “snap out of it.” Depression is a health problem that impacts feelings, thoughts, and behaviors, and can appear as physical symptoms. Risk-taking behaviors, such as sexual promiscuity, aggressive behaviors, and substance use may occur to avoid feelings of depression.
What Does Depression Look Like?
Warning signs of depression in a child or adolescent include the following. These signs are often present for more than two weeks.
– Persistent sadness and/or anger.
– Feeling worthless.
– Falling behind in school.
– Withdrawing from friends or activities usually enjoyed.
– Low level of energy and fatigue all of the time.
– Talking about self-harm or suicide.
– Overly aggressive behavior.
– Substance abuse.
– Eating and sleeping patterns are disturbed.
– May have physical complaints, but there is no medical reason for the complaints.
How Young People Can Help Themselves
– Try to make new friends. Healthy relationships with peers are central to ones’ self-esteem and provide an important social outlet.
– Participate in sports, job, school activities or hobbies. Staying busy helps one to focus on positive activities rather than negative feelings or behaviors.
– Join organizations that offer programs for young people. Special programs geared to the needs of children and adolescents help develop additional interests.
– Ask a trusted adult for help. When problems are too much to handle alone, children and teens should not be afraid to ask a parent, family member, responsible friend, school teacher, or school counselor for help.
What Parents and Others Can do to Help
– Offer help and listen. Encourage children and teens to talk about their thoughts and feelings. Listen, don’t lecture.
– Trust your instincts. If it seems that the situation may be serious, seek prompt help.
– Pay attention to talk about suicide. Ask direct questions and don’t be afraid of frank discussions. Silence can be deadly! If you have serious concerns about this, call Child and Adolescent Services at 239-6344 during working hours or take your child to the Emergency Ward at King Edward Memorial Hospital after-hours.
– Seek professional help. Alert key adults in the child’s or teen’s life — family, friends, teachers, school counselors, and pediatricians or family doctors. These individuals can help to determine if the child or teen requires assessment and treatment by a mental health professional.
Dr. Sandy De Silva completed her postgraduate training in the U.S.A. and has been with Bermuda Hospitals Board for 2 years. She is employed as a clinical psychologist working with young people between the ages of 4 and 18 years old at Child and Adolescent Services.
- 16 September - Hurricane Emergency Kit Guide for Diabetes Patients
- 10 September - 2019 Scholarship Winners Announced
- 4 September - BHB CEO Notifies of Early Retirement in 2020
- 14 August - Improved diabetes management for inpatients
- 16 April - BHB celebrates occupational health nurses
- 25 March - BHB implements hand hygiene audit
- 11 March - Public Advisory: KEMH through road closure
- 22 February - KEMH asphalt resurfacing works
- 6 February - Public Advisory: KEMH roof sealing works
- 5 February - Red Cross Donates Scooter to Gordon Ward Residents
- 22 January - BHB Public Advisory on the Flu
- 5 December - Bermuda Blood Donor Centre thanks polo shirt donors
- 23 October - Walk-in Mammography Day on Thursday
- 12 September - Bermuda Hospitals Board offers free hands-only CPR training
- 26 February - Bermuda Hospitals Board now offers Cardiac CT Scanning
- 14 February - A Valentine’s gift for regular blood donors
- 25 December - Bermuda Hospitals Board welcomes Christmas baby 2017
- 24 November - Public Advisory: Lamb Foggo UCC closed this weekend
- 18 October - KEMH Mammography Department puts breast health first
- 16 October - Bermuda Hospitals Board Traffic Advisory
- 19 September - Bermuda Hospitals Board launches island-wide asthma campaign
- 14 September - Bermuda Hospitals Board has two certified dementia trainers
- 14 September - Lamb Foggo Urgent Care Centre closed this weekend
- 23 March - CEO Venetta Symonds on bed capacity at KEMH
- 17 March - Corporate Blood Drive competition heats up
- 22 February - Lamb Foggo UCC to reopen 1 March
- 1 February - Ms Patrice Dill leaves BHB
- 24 January - BHB introduces Patient-Centred Medical Home
- 20 January - Community invited to open up about BHB services
- 2 January - BHB welcomes New Year’s baby
- 26 December - BHB welcomes Christmas baby
- 22 December - Notice: Holiday hours at UCC and Emergency Department
- 3 December - King’s College urologist joins BHB
- 6 November - BHB focuses on ethics and youth
- 10 October - Being Alive
- 28 September - General Wing Lobby Doors Closed on Thursday 29 September
- 27 September - END OF FISCAL YEAR (2015/16) UPDATE
- 16 September - Urgent Care Centre Closure this Weekend
- 7 September - BHB Update on the Lamb Foggo Urgent Care Centre
- 1 September - Outpatient clinics at KEMH have moved
- 5 August - New hours at Craig Appin House reception
- 25 July - Call for O Negative Blood Donations
- 24 July - Agape House has reopened
- 21 July - BHB Releases CEO Salary Data
- 15 July - BHB Releases 2012 Annual Report
- 16 May - BHB releases salary data
- 4 May - Teen suicide public debate
- 27 April - Dr Keith Chiappa Appointed as Chief of Staff
- 22 February - Agape House 25th anniversary
- 10 February - Update on Genito-Urinary Cancer Care
- 8 February - Blood Donor Centre request to recent donors
- 3 February - BHB Rehabilitation Day Hospital temporarily moved
- 3 February - MRI service at BHB has resumed
- 2 February - Agape House now in Curtis Ward
- 12 January - Kiwanis Clubs Donate $21,000 To Maternity
- 6 January - MRI service interruption
- 5 January - BHB to demolish two buildings on KEMH campus
- 30 December - BHB Posts Hospital-Wide Accreditation Report to Website
- 5 October - Hurricane Joaquin babies at KEMH
- 28 September - MWI sewage treatment plant completed
- 14 September - Acute Care Wing first anniversary – shorter hospital stays
- 18 June - Second Oncologist Joins BHB
- 21 May - BHB Spring Talent Showcase
- 15 April - CCU patients have a new home in KEMH
- 16 February - BHB to dispose of condemned items
- 12 February - Bermuda Hospitals 2014 Update
- 5 February - Operating Rooms now in the Maternity Ward
- 14 September - Emergency Department opens in new Acute Care Wing
- 4 September - Acute Care Wing opens next week
- 29 August - Letter to the Editor of The Royal Gazette
- 12 August - Acute Care Wing opens next month
- 22 July - Tour D´oeuvres and Public Tours
- 15 July - Chance to win a tour of the new wing
- 4 July - Consultant Geriatrician Appointed
- 19 June - BHB mount exhibition
- 9 June - Retiring Blood Donors Honoured
- 15 May - The Back-up generators
- 28 April - We´re connected!
- 21 April - Acute Care Wing: – new features on the face
- 16 April - Atrium- Bringing light to the interior
- 10 April - The New Emergency Department
- 13 February - BHB introduces Eddie the Elephant
- 30 January - Road Works on Point Finger Road this weekend
- 27 January - BHB announce revised opening date
- 16 January - Craneiom comes down
- 7 January - New Chief of Pathology Appointed
- 29 November - Urgent Care Centre Hours Confirmed
- 28 November - Dr Sam Mir Appointed Director of Cardiology
- 14 November - Chairman, CEO speak at Sandys Rotary
- 1 November - BHB Goes Back to Ethics Basics
- 31 October - Quarterly BHB Update – October 2013
- 15 October - New Acute Care Wing Construction Update
- 10 September - CEO and Chairman Speak at Hamilton Rotary
- 6 September - Planned Power Outage at MWI this Weekend
- 26 August - New temporary pedestrian entrance to KEMH
- 24 July - BHB Board Update – 24 July 2013
- 30 April - New Chief of Staff Appointed
- 5 February - Auditor General Informs BHB of Review
- 1 November - BHB Tackles Healthcare Ethics in the Digital Age
- 8 October - Mental Health Awareness Week Tackles Depression
- 2 October - Clinical & Corporate Governance Review Update
- 27 September - Voices Against Stigma: MindFrame PhotoVoice 2012 Launches
- 19 September - BHB´s 2011 Annual Report Released
- 7 August - Chief of Human Resources Appointed
- 16 February - BHB Sees Patient Satisfaction with Services Rise
- 16 February - New CT Scanner Provides Faster and More Accurate Results
- 10 February - Road Works Planned for South Shore
- 31 January - Hospital Marks Healthy Heart Month
- 22 November - Bermuda Hospitals Board Achieves Full Accreditation
- 7 November - Hospital Celebrates Advances in Diagnostic Imaging
- 27 October - Ethics Week 2011 Offers Food For Thought
- 12 August - Venetta Symonds To Be BHB CEO from 7 April 2012
- 6 April - Construction Begins
- 23 November - MindFrame PhotoVoice Exhibition Winners Announced
- 28 October - MWI Host Mental Health Forum for Community
- 28 October - Ethics Week Keeps it Confidential
- 13 October - Premier Visits Site of New Hospital Facility
- 10 September - BHB evaluates three bids
- 4 June - Parking Lot Takes Shape
- 4 May - KEMH Hosts Asthma Day Open House
- 26 March - Site preparation work begins
- 18 March - New Online Applications Process for BHB Jobs
- 23 December - Specifications for New Facilities Complete
- 23 December - BHB Releases Request for Proposal to Shortlisted Bidders
- 28 October - BHB Approves Shortlist of Qualified Bid Teams
- 27 October - New Chief of Nursing, Quality & Risk Appointed
- 14 October - Specifications Take Shape
- 10 September - New Director of Facilities Appointed
- 3 September - New Ambulance Fleet Unveiled
- 1 September - Pembroke Rotary Helps MWI Clients Snap into Action
- 25 August - Hospital Appoints Psychiatrists at MWI
- 29 July - Advisory Teams Evaluate KEMH Site
- 24 June - Robot Enhances Patient Care
- 11 June - World Blood Donor Day- June 14
- 8 May - Market Briefing Presentation
- 30 April - KEMH Hosts World Asthma Day Fair
- 16 March - Redevelopment Update
- 3 February - Presentation To Contractors
- 3 February - Presentation To Architects & Engineers
- 2 February - Hospital Opens New Pilot Patient Rooms
- 12 November - Johns Hopkins Phase II Report Released
- 20 October - Hospital Launches Infection Prevention Week
- 16 October - Mind Frame Art Exhibit Opens at City Hall
- 14 October - BHB Invests to Strengthen Nursing
- 29 July - Mother Support: Going for the Gold
- 27 March - Hospital Improves Laundry Service
- 23 January - Hospital Switchboard Undergoes 2-Hour Upgrade
- 20 December - New Director of Human Resources Appointed
- 27 November - Opening the Doors to Wound Care
- 11 October - Mind Frame Art Exhibit Opens at City Hall
- 6 September - Emergency Department Staff Receive Specialized Training
- 21 August - Dr Donald Thomas Appointed as Chief of Staff
- 15 February - Single Largest Donor Funds Improvements at Hospitals
- 1 February - Have You the Heart to Find Out Your Risk?
- 22 November - Day Hospital Provides Rehabilitative Services
- 17 October - Bermuda Hospitals Board Update on Estate Master Plan
- 16 October - Infection Control Week – It’s In Your Hands
- 9 October - Mental Health Awareness Week 2006
- 26 September - Deputy CEO Comments on Bermuda Hospitals Board Next Steps
- 21 September - Bermuda Hospitals Board Changes First Public Meeting Venue
- 20 September - Bermuda Hospitals Board Public Meetings
- 18 September - Safer and Faster X-ray Service Now Available to Patients
- 7 September - Community Open Houses to be Held at KEMH
- 10 July - BHB and BPSU Reach Three Year Agreement
- 21 February - Bermuda Hospitals Board Appoints Acting CEO
- 30 December - BHB Chairman Steps Down
- 12 September - Community Newsletter Available to Island Residents
- 6 September - Bermuda Hospitals Board Awarded Three-Year Accreditation
- 30 August - BHB Chairman Addresses Hamilton Rotary Club
- 7 April - Hospitals Launch New Web Site
- 1 November - November is Hospice Awareness Month in Bermuda
- 8 October - DEPRESSION
- 8 October - Schizophrenia
- 8 October - Substance Use
- 8 October - ANXIETY
- 7 October - Learning Disability
- 6 October - CHILD AND ADOLESCENT MENTAL HEALTH
- 6 October - CHILD AND ADOLESCENT DEPRESSION
- 5 October - Bermuda’s Mental Health Awareness Week
- 4 October - STIGMA AND MENTAL HEALTH